Translate

Friday 3 April 2020

Late March Posting /in Lock Down

So here we are in Lock Down on the little island.

So when I was given the word that I'd likely be put on furlough but be expected to attend emergency call out. I looked at the pile of unfinished projects and said to myself...……………...lets start something new rather than finish off what I already have in progress.

I know I know fatal move but I did have a glass of wine in my hand at the time.


Lots to do to finish them but its a start.

So the long planned Martian canal docks has done into swing. A 4 by 6 multi level board. Almost impossible to store and carry. But what is life without a challenge ;)



So while I was at it I cut two further 4 by 6 boards for the future. Still early days but it's at least at start.


The kit am turning into a wheel house/granary on the canal front. As you will know am keen on pushing water power technology that the Canal Priests maintain with their knowledge of the "old ways".







Along with this I bought in some more mdf from TT Combat,War Bases UK and Blotz Terrain. Unfortunately TT has now suspended trading on government advice with the Beer Flu. However some of the family run companies  are still trading and if you can please support them during this time by buying a few things. We don't want companies without vast resources to go under. The hobby has come so far over the last ten years with the growth of independents and it would be a great lose to see the progress reversed.

Over the last two months I added more to my Syrtis Major buildings. The docks are planned to provide a canal level for the city. The buildings for the streets above.

But depending how I finish it may also be able to double for other wealthy cities. But Shatapsh will have their own set if plans go ahead without forced change. Am still going with the different regions of Mars are different colour schemes based on the rock/sands colours to avoid a bland look. Oh and it makes more work for me ;) lol


I even managed to kit bash some left over bits from a balsa wood catapult into a simple crane for the docks last night. I haven't done so much in ages ;)
.



6 comments:

  1. I'm very excited to see how this shapes up. TTC has some great stuff. My buddy put together a pretty awesome 3x3 table for carnivale that has a ton of the venetian buildings. He ended up going for magnetized foundation/brick road sections so he can rearrange the layout and then places the buildings on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnets are an interesting idea. For me on this as the canals are pretty much straight most of the time the general format of docks are going to be the same. The terrain/ scatter on them can change. Plus other cities can be a different style or colours but still be on a horizontal plane. There maybe exceptions to this for military/Royal areas?

    But if this works out am planning a fixed board, just to make storage interesting ;)

    Yes they have some good ranges at fair prices for mdf kits.

    If I had one criticism it would be that the type of mdf is less compressed than others. Which sometimes can cause problems if you paint the kits before construction. The moisture in the paint can cause expansion of the tabs. Which makes construction a pain.

    But you can work around it and as I say you can't complain about the price or their excellent customer service and turn around.

    Like all the hobby suppliers closed at the moment I hope they won't be effected by the shut down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be a big bummer if we lose any/many of the smaller outfits. I imagine a number are the 'extra' job for the owners, but some ones with real staff are probably hurting.

      I agree the canals would probably look very similar and be on a single plane. My 1889 lore is a bit weak, but is there ever mention of locks to negotiate elevation changes? Military posts I imagine would be walled siege weapon/artillery emplacements that command views over the canals. Probably little traffic comes across land away from the life giving waters...

      Delete
  3. Well Dave.

    Some cities have the advantage of high positions in relation to the lower canals. From some of the original artwork these tend to have defences on the edges of the cities and the docks are further within the cities. So they can also be over looked by fortifications at the city level. Gun emplacements etc.

    Others cities however don't and these would have defences at the dock level only.

    As the levels of the canal are seasonal these also add extra problems to cities. Does the city still have working canal engines to control levels etc?

    The richer cities are likely to have more working systems maintained my Canal Priests or the local state.

    I've draft sketches of a locks systems with scale measurements. These would likely stand over a metre in height on the table. I roughly work on 5mm is one Martian foot.

    I'd like to build for the Belgian Corprates such as the Uri Babaat locks but while I've the majority materials may main problem is the lack of skills to do it justice and most important is the storage space.

    But I'd love to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, the lock system would be huge. When I was reading this I wondered if there would be a upside down step pyramid cross section of the canals. As the waters go down you end up with a narrow canal of sufficient depth. As the water go up you have wider water with some tiers of depths.

      The defences on heights commanding the canals makes perfect sense.

      Delete
  4. Yes it would take up a bit of room. Martian locks use cranes as well as the locks themselves so I envision steps full of water. Cranes for up? Locks for down only?

    Either way a big project in size alone.

    ReplyDelete